Hunting has existed since the time man became hungry – which is a very long time ago. Animals equaled meat which equaled food and this started a long tradition that exists to this day. While hunting is both done for sport as well as sustenance, hunters require a certain amount of equipment to help them in their hunt. Animals are born with a keen sense of smell and are always aware of their surroundings.
In comparison, man is quite clumsy and most of us tend to scare the animals away, leaving us empty handed.
This is why a range of equipment was designed to help the hunter while in the wild. There are a range of essentials that hunters deem as necessary inclusions in their hunting backpack and we’ll share them with you.
- License and Regulations/ Permits: This is very important as knowing the rules and regulations helps to control the population of the animal as well as ensure your safety. It is important for every hunter to abide by the regulations set by the different states and to always carry all permits and licenses before hunting. These are easy to come by – just check online and you should be good.
- Gear: Let’s talk about the gear. It can vary from the type of hunting methods you will be comfortable with. If you are using the bow – some things will be different, so we are only going to mention hunting with rifles and guns, which is the most popular way of hunting.
- Hunting Clothing: Blend in with your surroundings and seem invisible to your prey with hunting clothing. These clothes are designed to resemble the foliage and the environment around you so that you gain an advantage for your prey to get closer to you without them being aware of your presence. This also includes your boots which should be hardy and can range from being insulated to waterproof to rubber ones.
Hunting Knife: You never know what may happen and what you may need to do, but the top of every survivalist and hunter’s list has the hunting knife – sharp, it can be used to cut twigs and wood to shelter your camp if you are hunting for a few days or even to strip down the animal so it is easier to carry back. Of course, it also acts as the perfect weapon.
- Rifle: What is hunting without your rifle? There will be no hunting or food brought back home if your trusty rifle is not with you. Many people have their own preferences, but the Remington Sendero FF II, Marlin 336C, Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 and Ruger American are popular favorites.
- Cartridges: You need the ammo to make the kill and each type differs according to the type of rifle you are using. This can range from the .30/06, the .308, the .243 and the .30/30.
- Fire Kit: This could include your fire starter, matches, lighter, cotton balls soaked in Vaseline.
- Compass: If you are headed into the woods, it’s good to always have your bearings sorted out. Never get lost with a compass in hand. Of course, if you have a smart phone and connectivity, you could always use Google Maps – hooray for technology!
- Emergency Blanket: If the weather can change at any moment and you think the hunt will take all day and over night, it’s better to be prepared.
- Water filtration bottle: You need water no matter what, and this will make sure you stay active and hydrated.
- Snacks: Preferably don’t take meat snacks as this can attract unwanted attention from predators, and you don’t want to accidentally end up as some other creature’s lunch.